Saturday, February 19, 2011

Where have we been (Part I)




I just took a look at my blog and realized it has been nearly 3 weeks (January 30) since my last post...so much of that "almost daily dose" part of my blog. Though, I do believe that I have a few decent excuses.

Wednesday, February 2, I woke up not feeling well. I am not one to frequent the doctor's office, so I chalked up my wavering health to nothing more than the cold or the flu. As the day progressed, I went further and further downhill. Eventually I called my dear husband at work and told him, yes told him, that I desperately needed him to come home so that I could go to an after hours urgent care. Knowing that I do not just skip off to the doctor at any given chance, Kyle knew that this was not to be questioned, and made his way home after stopping at the store to get my necessities for being sick...noodle soup, cough drops, theraflu, gatorade and crackers. He is a saint! The diagnosis....Strep Throat! I knew when I left for the urgent care that was the case.

Now, I have failed to mention that this same week, I encountered my first Dallas Ice Storm, so my trek to the urgent care involved my first late evening drive in ice covered roads of this nature. Obviously, due to the fact that I learned to drive in Utah and lived there for all of my driving years up until now, I know how to drive on winter roads, but this is something different...mostly because Dallas does not have the capability to remove the ice and snow like Utah. I have never been more thankful for my four wheel drive Explorer.

The next few days were interesting. Thankfully it was easy to stay in because the snow and the ice did not stop coming.....for what felt like for-ev-er! The hard part was taking care of my energetic one-year-old. No One ever told me about this part of motherhood. It really gave me a new respect for my mother. It was hard. I am not going to lie. It was hard. Evan was a trooper, as always. I was doing everything I could to not get him sick. I can't imagine his little body dealing with strep, and we were leaving to go out of town to Utah the following Tuesday. I do not think I have ever read as many books as I did those few days - I didn't really make it out of the house until Saturday. You can see from the photo of Evan, that we read and read. I didn't put those books back on the shelf until Saturday afternoon. He picked through them, I would read and then make a stack of books to disinfect.

Thankfully Evan made it through without getting strep and I am healthy and strep free!

No comments:

Post a Comment