Thursday, January 27, 2011

Little Helper


Lately when I am doing things around the house, Evan thinks he should "help" me. Generally speaking, this "helping" usually results in more work for me. If I am loading (or unloading the dishwasher) Evan will either stand to the side of the dishwasher door or climb upon it to pull out all the utensils and whatever dishes he can get his hands on in the lower rack. For some reason, I don't always remember to pull the utensil basket up to the counter while I am loading or unloading dishes, but even when I do, he still finds a way to be involved.

When I sweep out the kitchen, as soon as I lean the broom against the counter or wall he hustles over to it and starts to push it around the floor and, of course, spread the pile of crumbs all over the floor. The predicament with this situation is that if I do not cover the pile with the broom, he crawls over to the pile and picks through it for cheerios that broke lose from the pack, or raisins that fell astray. I usually end up distracting him long enough to break out the vacuum and hurry and suck up the pile of crumbs, but I am not always on top of it with that much efficiency. So, success is his for the taking.

It is a lot of fun to see him explore and gain interest in the things around him, but also a bit frustrating. Oh well, if this were a job out in the workplace, it would be called job security, so I guess I will look at it the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment